Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Kensignton Metropark, October 13, 2010

Spent the afternoon wandering on the wooded side of the nature center.

Colors were rich and varied as the maples and oaks started showing the slowing of sap to their extremities.

Was a little disturbed along the deer run trail as the gravel used to make the path created too much noise for my desires. Was too much for the red and fox squirrels, who I could hear chirping and barking in trees along the path. Had a better time at quiet where the leaves began covering the path, muting the grinding of the cinders against each other beneath my feet.

Then, had to wonder whether the walk would be enjoyable if someone didn't forge a path ahead of time, even if paved with cinders.

Wondered about one person I passed, sitting on a bench at a trail intersection staring into space with a hand extended, until I saw a finch settle on the hand to feed.

Don't really know if this is an engagement with nature, as I believe any bird secure enough to approach the smell of a human to feed has been overly domesticated by the presence of humans.

But, then, to each his own.

Deer were under cover, perhaps because starting at 1 p.m. was long after many have tread the trails and startled the foragers back into the deeper cover.

Didn't appreciate running across some plastic wrap, foil, and tissues crumpled along the path. Didn't lend itself to "out in the wilderness alone" knowing there were still pigs around who tossed aside candy bar wrappers and their snotty tissues as they "enjoyed" nature.

Made sure I carried more out of the park and into the trash than I took with me (or worse left behind).

Birds seemed to be pretty active, but that may be because more of the cover they enjoy in deep spring and summer was on the ground.

Knew it was time to leave when I approached another trail, and found another standing statue still with hand extended waiting for birds to perch.

Cute, but I'd rather see them in their own activities instead of the human induced ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment